Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Video Games and I

The first time I played a video game, that I can recall, would have been in 1989. I was about four years old then, I think. My brother and I found a brand-new NES in our basement. My dad probably put it there intending to give it as a gift for my birthday or Christmas. But, as we all well know, four-year-olds lose all sense of patience and propriety when presents are preemptively discovered.

It was Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt for us from then on out. My dad set up a room for us in our basement very shortly after we found the NES, and it was in that room for the next eight or so years that we played all of the "classics."

The first PC games I can remember playing (besides some Dinosaur coloring educational software) were Railroad Tycoon and Falcon: The F-16 Flight Simulator. I could sit and lay railroad tracks across the U.S. and Europe for hours before taking a break to crash my F-16 into the landscape over and over again.

So that's my attempt at an introduction. Needless to say, my tastes have changed a great deal since the tender days of Kindergarten. I spend most of my time playing games in the RTS, RPG, or FPS categories nowadays. Some strategy games and some simulation games make into the lineup these days too. I want to try to put up replays when I'm able to, but I mostly just want to reflect on games that I'm playing and put out some of my strategies for the world to see.

No comments: